Immigration Help Centre

How long can I stay in Canada as a visitor?

Most visitors can stay for up to 6 months in Canada. At the port of entry, the border services officer may allow you to stay for less or more than 6 months. If so, they’ll put the date you need to leave by in your passport. They might also give you a document. If you don’t get a stamp in your passport, you can stay for 6 months from the day you entered Canada or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. If you need a stamp, you can ask a border services officer for one. If you arrive at an airport that uses primary inspection kiosks, ask the border officer after you finish at the kiosk. If you want to stay longer than your authorized stay, you should apply for an extension at least 30 days before the authorized end of your stay.

I got an email confirmation from IRCC that my eTA application was received, but nothing since then. Can I still travel to Canada?

No. eTA is a mandatory entry requirement. You should not travel to Canada until a decision is made on your application. Some applications can take several days to process. If you are leaving for Canada soon, you may want to reschedule your flight. Check the junk/spam mail folder of the email address you provided on your eTA application form. Some spam filters may block automated emails from IRCC. If you have not received an email confirmation with an application number within 72 hours of applying, you will need to fill out this Web form: Under “Type of application” select “Electronic Travel Authorization”, then “Case Specific Enquiries”. Provide as many details as possible about the problem you encountered. Note: It can take us several days to answer your inquiry.


Who is a Protected Person?

A protected person is someone who: Was found to be in need of protection or a convention refugee by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. A person who received a positive decision on a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA) from IRCC.